Have you ever read something or watched a video and thought it was talking to you directly? It isn’t magic, they have mastered the art of connection. Let me explain.
The secret to connecting with your audience is to join the conversation that is going on in their head, about the problem that you solve. This is a phrase coined by Robert B Cialdini in his book Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion.
If you are looking for a great business book to read, check it out.
Your marketing doesn’t have to be expensive. This week I want to share some tools and tips that will help you enter that conversation and connect with your audience.
If you want to watch me talking about this topic, head over to YouTube
The Topic Takeover
This task requires extreme discipline. Because it takes less than 20-30 mins a day to do. No scrolling, no rabbit holes. Be focused and get the work done.
Set a timer, it will help.
You have three options:
- Start a conversation
- Support a conversation
- Or Complete a conversation
Get online and start hanging out where your ideal client is. What groups are they in? What forums or memberships are they active in? What videos are they watching on YouTube? etc.
Ask questions, be interested in what they have to say. Listen to them. This will allow you to connect with them and showcase your knowledge and superpower.
The Law of Reciprocity dictates that if you do something good for someone they will want to return the favor. Find a way to connect, share your knowledge, suitable articles or blogs, and content you have written. Give value. Build know, like, and trust.
Reach out to them. Connect and invite them into your world. Make it easy for them to join your mailing list.
5 Tips to Help You Right Now
Set aside 20 – 30 mins. Be VERY strict with your time. Get in, get out. Keep it tight – DON’T SCROLL
- Topic Takeovers – Get online and join the conversation:
- Start the conversation – ask questions, be interested.
- Support the conversation – provide useful advice, don’t sell, share your knowledge.
- Complete the conversation – provide a link to an article or share your tips, perhaps you have a useful blog to show off.
- Hang out where your clients are – Where are your clients/potential clients hanging out? Identify the groups, sites, pages, forums, memberships that they spend time in. Use the search facility on the various platforms for keywords and hashtags.
- Set up Google Alerts – for your topics, competitors or hashtags then use the alerts to go and join the conversations.
- Sign them Up – bring these people into your world. Connect with them, show them what you know by providing them with key advice and then get them onto your mailing list.
- STOP – You were tempted to go in and do some scrolling for a minute there weren’t you!! Don’t do it – stay focused and get this task done.
Commit to doing this every day. Statistically, this approach will give you 1-5 new connections a day. That’s either 365 or 1825 new subscribers to your mailing list and potential leads.
1 new follower or subscriber is 1 more than you had yesterday
If you are in a conversation, make a note of that person (I use excel to keep track) and see if you can connect with them on another platform i.e if you are talking to them on Facebook, look for them on LinkedIn or Instagram.
Hit reply and let me know if this helped? I would love to hear your feedback.